San Diego Beer Week Journal: The Final Chapter

8 Dec

Come, gather round and listen to the much-anticipated second half of beer week post! Sorry to leave you hanging, you’ll soon find out the reason.

Moday, November 8th: I went to Small Bar with Darrin for the Avery Barrel Experience. I chowed down on their deep fried pickles with a DuganA, while Darrin started with a White Rascal and corn dogs. Have I said before how much I love the food at Small Bar? I love the food at Small Bar. I’m getting hungry for the fried pickles as I write this and look at the picture. After that tastiness Darrin went for the Samael’s Ale, it’s a Barleywine and came out crazy sweet from the few sips I had. After some research we found out that Samael was an Arch Angel known as the “Venom of God” so we decided that if you had to suck Samael out of you, teeny little angles would come floating out of your mouth. Yeah, it’s a 15% beer.

Wednesday, November 10th: I went to Hamilton’s for Green Flash Night with my friend Bekah and her husband, Mike. Good times had by all. Mike almost got into a fight when some drunk random pushed in front of Bekah and me at the bar, and I enjoyed the Imperial Red. .

Thursday, November 11th: I was off of work because it was Veteran’s Day. Thank you, banking industry. So I went to Toronado for lunch, had a grilled cheese and Flying Dog’s Gonzo Porter. YUM. While getting down on the sandwich, I noticed that my throat was a little scratchy. I chalked it up to a few late nights during the week and went on with my day. So Bekah, Mike and their friend Lenny came and joined me a little later. We had a few more beers, and then decided to head north to get growlers filled at Alesmith. While we were up there, we stopped by the Hess tasting room for a flight and some good conversation with the Hess team. As the day wore on, my throat was getting a lot worse, so I knew I was officially sick. But that didn’t stop me from mowing down on a burger and tots lovingly served up by Darrin at the Station before heading home for some much needed sleep.

Friday, November 12th: I went to the doctor’s office. She swabbed my now giant tonsil, gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. That was the end of Beer Week for me. So I took my antibiotics for 10 days, and was feeling basically better by Thanksgiving…until my throat was feeling scratchy again whilst eating turkey and stuffing. Yep. The bacterial whatever that had taken residence on my tonsil was back. With a vengeance. Another trip to the doctor, another round of antibiotics, and a litany of tests. Including one for diphtheria. If you’ve never been tested for this, uncomfortable is a kind way of putting it. My doctor compared it to this scene from Total Recall:

Turns out I don’t have any turn of the century contagious diseases, the antibiotics work. I am now healthy and ready to get some beer flowing in my veins again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: